Join us for 5 online cookery lessons every Wednesday at 5pm. We'll be cooking dishes from all over the world, encouraging children to learn new skills, and experimenting with different spices and herbs.
All children will make enough food for a family of four to enjoy.
You will be sent a class ingredients list the week before the lesson so that you have time to add this to your shop before the class.
We recommend that children taking part are aged 8 - 17yrs, and that a grown up is also around in the kitchen throughout the class to assist and supervise where required. Dishes covered this term...
Wednesday 3 March 2021: Chicken Katsu curry
Wednesday 10 March 2021: Salmon en croûte with new potatoes & a green bean salad
Wednesday 17 March 2021: Keftedes (Greek meatballs) & Greek salad
Wednesday 24 March 2021: Focaccia pizza bread - with your choice of toppings
Wednesday 31 March 2021: Cuban Mojo chicken with an avocado & green salad
Class run time - up to 1.5hr (cost covers all 5 lessons)
Class tutor: Elaine Syrett
HOW WILL THE ONLINE COOKERY LESSONS WORK?:
1. The cookery lessons will take place on Wednesdays at 5pm
2. The cook-along will take place by video call using Zoom (this will not be a public broadcast, it will only be accessible by subscribed students of The Cooking Shed). You will be sent a link to access this before the class date. If you have never used Zoom, please join a little early as your computer will have to download a little piece of software but DON’T WORRY, it’s perfectly safe! You could access this via mobile, but we would recommend using a computer if you can as you’ll be able to see the screen/tutor and other participants much more clearly.
3. Once logged in to Zoom, at the bottom of your Zoom screen you will see options to turn your video on/off and your sound on/off. We will start the session with our sound and video on to say hello (and keep our video turned on for the whole of the session so that your tutor, Elaine can see if you require any assistance), but once the tutor starts the cooking part of the session, please turn your sound off so that background noise is reduced. Clearly if you have a question though, turn the sound back on and ask it, then go back to off/mute it again.
4. You will need to have all of your ingredients out on the worktop and pre-measured in advance of the session (don't worry about chopping/peeling things - we'll be doing this together in the class!)
5. We will share the full and written recipe before the cook-along so that you have it to hand if needed or for future reference, or incase you loose connection at any point throughout the class.
6. Please ensure that you have a grown up with you so that they can help to supervise when using sharp or hot items. They don’t have to be on the camera, but having them in the room with you is a must for your safety.
7. You will be required to source ingredients ahead of the lesson - if you struggle to get anything from the ingredients list supplied and require an alternative suggestion please just let us know. Ingredients lists will be sent to you a few days before your class dates.
Children's online cookery classes
All children must be aged 8 years and over. We do offer 'adult and child' classes for children aged 3yrs+ - please see our 'adult and child' classes for availability if this is what you'd prefer.
Class tutors are Enhanced DBS cleared & Emergency first aid trained.
The price quoted is for one child aged 8yrs+ in a lesson. Adults must be present in the room at home with children throughout the lesson, and and allergy or dietary information should be supplied to The Cooking Shed upon booking.