Date & cinnamon butter recipe
Brighten up your mornings with this simple spread that even the kids will love. It's soooo simple to make, and will last in the fridge for 2-3 days so you can keep dipping back in to it when you need a sweetness fix.
12 Medjool dates
cold water (enough to cover the dates)
2 teaspoons chinese ground cinnamon*
half teaspoon finely ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons maple syrup
*You can use standard cinnamon, but I like the slight dentyne chewing gum flavour the chinese cinnamon has (remember them?!)
1. remove any stones from the dates, and place in a pot covered with cold water for approx half an hour (you can leave for longer if you like, just no less - the dates will start to plump up a little and the skin will begin to flake
2. Remove the dates from the water and peel off as much of the skin as you can (discard the skin)
3. Place the dates in a food blender along with the cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and 2 tablespoons of cold water.
4. Blitz until smooth then transfer to either a sterilised jam jar, or an air tight plastic container.
5. Smear liberally on to hot toast, and enjoy.
Store in the fridge for up to 3 days in the sealed container.