Crab & prawn spaghetti - the perfect Valentines dish
In honour of Valentines day, we thought we'd share the recipe for a dish that we love. It's simple, quick to make, uses only a few ingredients, and you can re-enact Lady and the Tramp across the table as you gaze in to each others eyes (just to be clear - if anyone tries to share my crab and prawn spaghetti, they'll be feeling the end of my fork).
If you can't get hold of a whole crab and don't fancy the faff of removing meat from the shell, then 'Seafood and Eat it 50/50 crab meat' is great and good value for money - sold in most supermarkets.
Enough spaghetti for 2 people (cooked as per pack instructions)
1 large knob of butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small shallot, finely chopped
Half a fresh red chilli (or more if you want to add a little more spice to your life!) - finely chopped
175g King prawns
Zest and juice of 1 Lemon
100g potted crab
Half a cup of frozen peas
A handful fresh Parsley, roughly chopped
Sea salt & ground black pepper
– serves 2 –
1. Cook spaghetti as per pack instructions,(retain around 1 tablespoon of the pasta water and keep separate), drain and run under a cold tap (this will stop the pasta forming in to one large lump, and prevent it from cooking further until needed)
2. In a large sauté pan (or frying pan if you don’t have one) add the butter, olive oil, chilli and shallots to a medium heat – cool the shallots for approx 1 minute or until transparent and soft
3. Add in the prawns and lemon zest and cook for a further 2 minutes
4. Add the crab and peas and cook for a further 2 minute, stirring to break up all of the crab
5. Add the drained pasta, reserved pasta water and lemon juice and season well – cook for a final 2 minutes until the peas are cooked
6. Sprinkle with parsley and give everything a final stir, check for seasoning and serve.
Why not treat yourself, or each other to a cookery lesson at The Cooking Shed?! Check out all of our adult classes coming up here or purchase gift vouchers here (we can email them to you today if you need a rush gift!)